Sunday, September 4, 2016

Lemon and Buttermilk Sorbet

I few weeks ago, I bought a high quality buttermilk with the hopes to try out a new buttermilk biscuit recipe. However, the heat made any type of baked good less appealing, and so the buttermilk sat toward the back of the refrigerator, lonely and forgotten.

It's back to school time again, which means I'm working my way through fridge and freezer to prep meals, breakfasts, and baked goods for easy access when back to the grind. It was then that I came upon the buttermilk. I knew it had only a few days left before I would have to toss it, which would have made my heart sink a little bit. With plenty of lemons on hand and the desire for something refreshing after a summer's worth of beer and picnics, this sorbet was just what I needed to make and keep on hand.

You need:

1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tbsp. grated lemon peel
1 qt. buttermilk

In a small saucepan, dissolve the sugar in the lemon juice on low heat. Cool. Add the lemon peel and buttermilk. Chill for one hour in the refrigerator. Pour into your ice cream maker until complete. Store in an airtight container in the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment