I never buy potatoes. I really don't remember when the last time was that I bought a bag of potatoes. When recipes call for potatoes, I usually buy just the number that I need. However, I was making a chowder for the family this weekend, and the 5# bag was on sale at the market, so I bought a whole bag. Unfortunately, I only needed a few of them for the recipe. I looked at that little plastic bag, half full with sad little potatoes brought to a home with no love or devotion toward them (save for Thanksgiving dinner). To make things worse, I hate wasting produce, as I've mentioned before. That meant I needed to go back through my baby food cookbooks for inspiration for what to do with the rest. Although I didn't use them all (maybe potato pancakes this week?), this stew was so delicious that I froze half for C's meals and the other half in adult portions for my lunches this week. I had some pureed butternut squash in the deep freeze that I had made last fall when it was in season. As a result, I had to change up some of the recipe, but the flavors are still magnificent! It also makes the recipe a bit easier, as pureed winter squash is easily accessible at the market in the frozen foods department - just be sure to defrost before adding it to the stew.
You need:
2 c. pureed butternut squash
6 small potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 in. chunks
1 medium apple, peeled and cut into 1 in. chunks
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 1/2 c. vegetable stock
Heat oil in a medium saucepan. Add potatoes and apples and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes. Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. After 15 minutes have passed, add the pureed squash. When 30 minutes are up, mash while still warm. Serve within three days or freeze for up to three months.
Inspired from Cooking for Baby by Lisa Barnes
Do you have any idea how much easier you've made my life by telling me the grocery store sells frozen butternut squash?!?
ReplyDelete