This year we spent Christmas at home, rather than traveling, as I have done every year since 1995. Although we were able to ease into the holiday rather than jumping into it head first with a van full of kids and presents, I took over the challenge of hosting both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, celebrating with my parents, my sister, my in-laws, my sister-in-law, my niece, and of course, the lot of us. It was exhausting, yes, but I had a lot of fun pulling together two traditional dinners - an authentic Italian Christmas Eve and a traditional Scottish Christmas Day. I pulled from a variety of recipes, but none of them did I love as much as these scalloped potatoes that we served on Christmas Day. I never eat scalloped potatoes. Not because I don't love them, but because I don't particularly care for boxed meals, and I never knew before how to put together scalloped potatoes from scratch. This recipe. adapted from Wegmans, is decadent and fattening and out-of-this-world delicious. I snuck into the kitchen on Christmas night, long after the children (and my husband) were nestled snug in their beds, and ate a third of the leftovers.
You need:
2 tsp vegetable oil
4-5 shallots, minced (about 1/4 cup)
2 cups(1 pint) heavy cream
1 pkg(24 oz)
Italian Classics Parmesan Cream Sauce
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp
ground pepper
1/8 tsp
ground nutmeg
2 1/2 lbs potatoes, peeled, cut in 1/8-inch slices
1/2 cup grated Swiss cheese
Fresh chopped parsley
Add vegetable oil to braising pan on MEDIUM-LOW; add shallots. Cook 3-4 min, until softened but not browned. Add heavy cream, parmesan cream sauce, salt, white pepper, and nutmeg. Stir to combine. Warm 2-3 min, stirring. Remove from heat; stir in potatoes and cheese. Set aside. Grease baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; add potato mixture. Bake 60-65 min, until potatoes are tender when pierced with fork and top is light golden brown. Rest 20 min before serving. Garnish with parsley. Serve hot.
No comments:
Post a Comment