When I was younger, I would spend the weekend at my Aunt Clem's house. On Saturday, she, my grandmother, and I would make fillings and various dough recipes. We'd eat something amazing for dinner (braciole, eggplant parmesan, etc.) and then go to bed early. On Sunday, we'd make cookies for hours. I'd watch these women move so quickly though each recipe, chatting and sharing family stories. Eight years ago, I lost these two ladies within days of one another, and I never quite had the same excitement for making cookies since then. However, those days gave me such wonderful memories that I decided that I needed to make new memories over those same recipes for my little girl.
Yesterday, we started a new tradition. Over laughter, coffee, microbrews, pizza and wings, popcorn and countless Christmas specials on the DVR, we spent the day with our dear, dear friends and their children making cookies and creating memories. The kids helped with every step - mixing ingredients, adding the filling, and grabbing cookies to much as soon as they came out of the oven.
Below is the recipe my aunt and grandmother used every year. If the recipe seems like it was scribbled down by two ladies that didn't need directions because it was part of who they were to simply make them from memory, it is.
You need:
For the dough -
2 c. melted Crisco
2 c. sugar
8 eggs
2 tsp. lemon flavor
2 tsp. vanilla flavor
12 tsp. baking powder
1 c. milk
12 cups flour
Mix wet ingredients, carefully adding the melted Crisco to the mix without scrambling the eggs. Add to dry ingredients. Mix until just incorporated. Don't over mix! Chill for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
For the filling -
3 lbs. Mission or Calmyrna figs, chopped and cooked
1 box golden raisins, cooked
1 lb walnuts, chopped finely
2 tsp chopped orange peel
1 tbsp. orange flavor
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1/2 tbsp. black pepper
12 ounces chocolate chips
1/3 c. dark molasses
Mix all ingredients.
Once the filling is cooled and the dough is chilled, roll out and cut the dough into rectangles, about 3-4 inches in width and 12 inches in length. Place the filling in the center of the dough, shaping the filling into a log that runs lengthwise in the center of the dough. Fold the dough lengthwise over the filling, pressing the dough closed at the seam. Cut into 1 inch cookies. Place on cookie sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees.
No comments:
Post a Comment