Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Avocado Quinoa Bowl with Ricotta, Mint and Egg

Tuesdays, for as long as I can remember, have been Taco Tuesdays. And we've tried all sorts of recipes that fit into the "taco-ish" category - enchiladas, tostadas, taco pies, etc. However, even those recipes are getting old. And kind of unhealthy. I've started to feel like Taco Tuesday became Trashy Tuesday, our excuse to eat one cheesy, fat-laden meal a week under the guise of "celebration." 

Not that I mind those days. I would fight someone to the death for an amazing chimichanga. There's a place for that kind of decadence, but I knew there had to be a better way to savor the flavors of Taco Tuesday while opening our family up to new flavors and ingredients. 

This is another Farm to Family Table recipe, which borrows the flavors of cumin, onion, avocado, and a "rice-like substitute" (I have to call quinoa "round rice" to get my son to try it), into a very healthy dish. It's absurdly easy to put together, and it is both filling and light on the digestion (thank you, quinoa). 

The recipe below served two adults, one hungry nine year old, and a picky three year old. If you have heartier eaters, increase the quinoa and fry another couple of eggs. And one more thing - about the greens - I originally found this recipe when I was trying to find something to make with the beet greens and chard still frozen in the deep freeze from last summer's veggie share. It was only after I'd printed it that I realized it, too, might help solve the taco conundrum. However, use whatever greens you'd like or have on hand. Spinach will most certainly work, as will kale or even baby lettuces or salad herb mixes. 

You need:
1 c. quinoa
1/2 tsp. salt (plus more to taste)
4 oz. beet greens, roughly chopped
4 oz. rainbow chard, roughly chopped
3 tbsp. olive oil (plus more for sauteing and drizzling)
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. cumin
10-12 mint leaves, cut into ribbons
1 tbsp. chopped chives
1 sliced avocado
crumbled ricotta
4 eggs, fried or poached
chive flowers, for those of you who like to garnish fancy, fancy

Rinse the quinoa in cold water. Bring 2 cups of water to boil in a saucepan. Add 1/2 tsp. salt and the quinoa. Bring to a boil for about 30 minutes until cooked and the kernels have popped open. Remove from heat and set aside.  In a saute pan, saute the greens with a drizzle of olive oil until just wilted. Add to the quinoa. In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, 3 tbsp. olive oil, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste. Pour over the quinoa and greens. Toss in the mint and chives. Top with avocado slices, ricotta, and eggs. Drizzle with a tiny bit of olive oil and fresh ground pepper (and those flowers if you want to dazzle!)


No comments:

Post a Comment