May is flying by, which means our fruit and vegetable shares will start up again soon. I've got a few things left over from last year's harvest that I want to use up before we get back to filling up the deep freeze. At the same time, my little C had a wicked cold last week, so he didn't drink nearly as much milk as he usually does. When I went to pick up our dairy share on Thursday, I realized that I had 3/4 of a gallon of whole milk still in there, and I was about to add another gallon. When you pay almost $10 a gallon for the most amazing milk on the planet, you don't throw it out. However, it's low, low, low level pasteurized, so it doesn't last as long as grocery store milk.
Enter fruit ice creams and freezer ready mac and cheese.
I grabbed a few pints of heavy cream at the market and decided to give them a try. The recipe below is for the strawberry. To make the peach ice cream, substitute (exactly) the peaches for the strawberries.
You need:
1 pint strawberries, stemmed and sliced (or 1 pint frozen strawberries, thawed)
3 tbsp. lemon juice
1 cup super fine sugar
1 c. whole milk
2 c. heavy cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
In a small bowl, mix the strawberries with 1/2 c. of sugar and the lemon juice. Allow to macerate for about 2 hrs. If you are using frozen, 30 min will do because they are already pretty darn juicy when they are thawed. When the time is up, strain the berries, reserving the juices. Mash or puree half of the berries.
In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer to combine the milk and remaining sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the heavy cream, reserved juice, vanilla, and mashed berries. Add to your ice cream maker for 20-25 minutes. Five minutes before the time is up, add the remaining sliced berried. Put in an air tight container and freeze.
No comments:
Post a Comment