I have been quite melancholy this week. In my rational brain, I recognize how truly fortunate I have been to have been allowed an entire year at home, doing little more than loving and living through every moment of my children's lives. That said, my maternity leave, on paper, officially ends on Friday. And my heart is breaking.
I love teaching, and I think I do a fairly good job at it. But the last twelve months have been the best months of my life. And in one week, I won't be able to put A on the bus, or hold C in my arms as we watch that same bus roll up to the house at the end of the day, watching C wiggle with excitement as his big sister runs, with open arms, toward the house to share with us the wonders of her day. Our routine will change. Someone else will be in charge of nap time and snack time and free play and singing. And I will be ok. And they will be ok. In fact, I'm pretty sure C will be so excited at the prospects of free play with eight little beauties his age that by the time I arrive at 3:00, he will feel like he's just heading home after a long and splendid play date.
I am coping in the kitchen. The next series of recipes, over the course of the next few weeks, will serve a very specific function - how to put healthy, seasonal dinners on the table quickly and easily. Many of them, like this one, will allow for two dinners to evolve out of one. Others are made in double batches and freeze easily. This first recipe was an absolute hit at home. Both kids gobbled up both meals, and the flavor of the chili only got better in between. Just a couple of things to consider though: if your family doesn't enjoy things on the spicy side (A won't eat ANYTHING spicy), leave out the chili powder, and you might want to space these two dishes out over the course of a couple of days. Otherwise, it's a lot of beans back to back :)
Meal #1 - Slow-Cooker Black Bean and Zucchini Chili
You need:
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 28-oz. can of fire roasted tomatoes
1 15.5-oz. cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
3 medium zucchini, cut into cubes
2 medium onions, chiped
1/4 c. tomato paste
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
In a 4 to 6 qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. Reserve half of the chili for the stuffed peppers. Serve the remaining chili with your favorite toppings, such as sour cream, avocado, corn bread, or cilantro.
Meal #2 - Chili-Stuffed Peppers
You need:
5 1/2 c. slow-cooker black bean and zucchini chili
6 small bell peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
2 c. colby jack cheese
Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a medium bowl, mix the chili with 1 c. of the cheese. Arrange the bell peppers, cut side up, in a baking dish. Season with salt and pepper. Divide the chili mixture among the bells peppers. Add 1/2 c. water to the baking dish and tightly cover with foil. Bake until the peppers are soft, 30-40 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with the remaining cheese, and bake 5-7 min longer. Serve with crusty bread.
Recipe inspired from Real Simple Magazine
Looking forward to making this for the family! I know I'll be breaking out the crock pot soon, and this may even get J to eat some vegetables....
ReplyDelete