This month's Disney Family Fun magazine arrived, and there was a selection of recipes aimed at making back-to-school meals more interesting. Our little A has become addicted to frozen waffles and cantaloupe for breakfast, so I've been looking for something a little different that I could make easily to mix things up, especially now that I'll be a stay-at-home momma for the year (if this little man EVER chooses to make his appearance!) I altered the recipe a bit - rather than dicing a thick slice of ham, I used Wegmans's Organic Uncured Ham from the deli, thinly sliced, and then chopped that into small cubes. It made for a smoother muffin, especially if your child is fussy about consistency in foods.
This is a great recipe to do with your kids, and you can also make them in mini-muffin pans. They freeze well for up to 3 months, so you can make a big batch and then take them out as you need them!
You need:
1 1/4 c. flour
3/4 c. fine cornmeal
1/4 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. milk
2 large eggs
1/3 c. oil
1 c. finely diced ham
1/2 c. shredded cheddar
1/4 c. finely chopped chives
Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 12-c. muffin pan with non-stick spray or liners. In a large bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, powder, soda, and salt. In a medium bowl, mix milk, eggs, and oil and then pour into the dry mixture, stirring until blended. Fold in the ham, cheese, and chives. Fill each cup 3/4 full and bake 20 min, until lightly browned.
My husband is also fussy about consistency--this looks quite helpful. :-)
ReplyDelete